DocNomads films selected to Minsk Film Festival, Belarus
Terril by Bronte Stahl (USA) and The Rest of the Yarns by Luisa Mello (Brazil) were selected to the National Film Schools Competition of the 26th Minsk International Film Festival “Listapad”, held from 1 to 8 November in Belarus.
The documentary “My Granny From Mars”, by Alexander Mihalkovic, an alumnus of DocNomads, is a developed version of his graduation film, which was screened in Listapad’s section of National Competition.
By Luisa Mello
11' • Hungary • 2018
In the suburbs of Budapest, an elderly couple live in a suspended time surrounded by butterflies, shells, porcelain and stones. Without heirs, Istvan and Melinda contemplate what will happen to their collections. A film about time, memory and finitude.
By Bronte Stahl
13' • Belgium • 2018
The geography of the otherwise flat city of Charleroi is defined by slag heaps - hills formed from the waste material from coal mines. Filmed entirely from these terrils themselves, the film weaves large-scale industrial tragedy with the poeticism of ecological rebirth through a data-driven narration in which the terrils are the protagonists.
Previously presented in:
- 48th International Film Festival Rotterdam, The Netherlands
- 22nd CinemAmbiente Environmental Film Festival Torino, Italy
- Alchemy Film & Arts Festival, UK
- 37th Rhode Island International Film Festival, USA
- 38th Uppsala International Short Film Festival, Sweden
- 61 ZINEBI International Festival of Documentary and Short Film, Spain
- CinemaForum International Short Film Festival, Poland
- 5th InScience Film Festival, Netherlands
- Porto Post/Doc, Portugal
- 14th Pravo Ljudski Film Festival, Bosnia-Herzegovina
- 24th Leuven International Short Film Festival, Belgium
By Alexander Mihalkovich
72' • Belarus/Ukraine • 2018
My granny Zina lived in Ukraine, Russia, Belarus and after retirement moved to Crimea. Cheerful and bossy, she has always been uniting our big family. After geopolitical changes in Ukraine, visiting her became an endless hustle. Trying to fit into a new environment she ends up feeling mixed-up and lonely. The entire family manages to come for the celebration of the granny's 80th anniversary and help her make a crucial decision.
Previously presented in:
- Ji.hlava International Documentary Film Festival, Czech Republic (2018)
- Beldocs International Documentary Film Festival, Serbia (2019)
- Northern Lights International Film Festival, Belarus
- Eastern Neighbours International Film Festival, Netherlands