In the formal compliance-checking phase, the DN+ Secretariat is in continuous consultation with the applicants, requesting them to remedy any deficiencies in order to avoid exclusion due to formal non-compliance.
In the second and third phases following the checking of the formal admission criteria, the Selection Committee (SC) evaluates the e-package and the candidates’ performance at the Skype interview as follows:
1. The e-application package of the eligible candidates is scored by the SC against the following criteria:
- Previous commitment in filmmaking
- Background studies
- Artistic potential based on the application film and the additional film
The top-ranking 50-60 applicants are invited to participate in a Skype interview with the SC in Budapest, in February.
2. Interviewees are ranked based on the criteria considered by the SC relevant for each case, such as:
- Defence of the application film
- Familiarity with documentary culture
- Motivation and readiness to learn
- Social skills
- Coping with feedback and criticism
- Oral expression in English
The SC takes decisions by consensus on applicants with equal scores, giving preference to applicants from countries not represented in the programme yet.
No oral or written assessment will be given to candidates about their performance during the interviews.